I promised Lembas bread in my about page, did you think I wouldn’t include it early on? Now then, I should get this out of the way early on: I’m not great at baking. There I said it. But this should be pretty simple.
- 2 1/2 Cups of flour
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 Cup of butter
- 1/3 Cup of brown sugar*
- 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon*
- .1/2 Teaspoon of honey*
- 2/3 Cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon of vanilla extract*
- 1 Teaspoon of Cloves (or Nutmeg or Cacao [or any combination there of])**
* Needs more than suggested amount in my opinion.
** These would have been welcome flavor additions. The elves sure had extremely delicate taste buds if they enjoyed this.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix Flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter slightly and add it into the mixture.
- Mix until it is in fine granules.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and cloves/nutmeg/cacao and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cream, honey, and vanilla and stir until the dough is nice and evenly thick.
- Roll the dough out to .5 inch thickness and cut into squares of 3×3 inches.
- (Optional: criss-cross each square from corner to corner lightly with a knife.)
- Place dough on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until it is set and lightly golden.
- Let cool completely, the flavors come out more at room temperature.
So first of all, I would like to make a shout out to my roommate for helping ensure I didn’t screw this up (I wouldn’t have used enough butter.).Secondly, these things are like scones. They fill you up quick and are on the bland side so if you enjoy robust flavors I would definitely suggest adding more spices and flavors.